Saturday, February 8, 2014

A long day getting to Dingle...



Last night at the pub our new friends told us about a village about 5 miles from here that was full of gypsies! They told us they steal everything in site, but when you see their houses you will notice they have bars and wires covering their windows and doors so that no one steals from them! They also told us about this cemetery that had very unusual head stones. So on our way to Dingle today we stopped at gypsy-ville and took a look around. It was very unusual! Then on to the cemetery!






 This is a grave for a little baby boy 
 I zoomed in on this. These are present at a lot of the sites. They are really stone, just carved to look like a pillow.
 I read this lovely poem, but the reason I had to post this is because I love the last three lines.....go on zoom in and read 'em
 Guess why I posted this one? Check out the mans name! (or nickname)
The same man above must have loved music because this was the remembrance from his grandsons.

After the gypsy town we headed on to Dingle. That was one of the most harrowing experiences of my life! The cursing that went on in our car would put the devil himself in hell! We went over Conner pass to get there and right when we got on the pass the weather took a turn and it started raining in sheets and the wind damn near knocked us off the road. But we persevered and made it into town. There we found the bar that our Uncle Dub frequented when he went to Ireland. His picture was up on the wall so Peggy and I got our picture taken along side of his.
Sister and I toasting "the man"
The Man - our Uncle Dub - born, raised and lived on a farm in NW Missouri.

I would upload more pictures but the connection here is pure crap and I can't! Will try later though....On the way home (or was it on the way there?) Peggy and Caroline both decided they have seen enough of the world and will never leave the states again. The roads scared them too much! Marge and I were in the front seat and as I drove through the pass into the gates of hell Peggy just yelled "Look at them Caroline - just call them Thelma and Louise - they won't turn back!"

By the time we got home we were exhausted from fighting the rain and wind. So we stayed home and ate ice cream.....lots and lots of ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment