Saturday, November 4, 2017

The Big Rig or a week in an RV - Part I

(no access to internet - logged this post in my journal)

Mon Oct 16, 2017
8:47PM
Paducah, KY
Walmart parking lot in an RV Camper - Check

Shelly and I are taking an RV trip to Asheville, NC. We left St. Louis at 4PM with no camp site booked so we found the local Walmart here in town and parked. There are about 6 or 7 other RVs here so this is really a "thing" - RVers park on Walmart lots when they are in between RV parks. The RV is roomy and we stocked it with good food and plenty of cold beer so life in the Walmart parking lot is pretty good! Shelly is laying down and I'm on my 3rd beer and I am hoping it will put me to sleep! Tomorrow we will be at a campsite with a "full hookup" which means we can use the microwave, stove, coffee maker etc. Tonight we are using the lights which I hope won't run down the battery - It is very odd sleeping in a parking lot where you can hear people drag racing down the main strip. I apologize for this being so boring but nevertheless, here we are - two women in our 60's taking off across the USA in an RV. Unheard of 50 years ago. It's great to be a women in 2017.


Tuesday
Made it to Nashville


We made it through out night on the Walmart Parking lot but not without plenty of uncomfortable moments. We had no heat and it got cold!!! I woke in the night hearing Shelly saying "I'm freezing" while she was trying to get her sleeping bag down from my sleeping cubby hole. She got it down and then froze the rest of the night even with the sleeping bag. How do I know that you may ask? Because she announced it through out the long, cold night. Personally I didn't mind the cold - it's the heat that 
I can't bear.  Wednesday dawned beautiful - blue skies -  nice weather. We loaded up and hit the local Cracker Barrel. Then it was "On the Road Again. Got here, set up camp and we have electric!!! All is well in Two Rivers RV Site. We have water, but we haven't quite figured it out yet. We think the hose needs some kind of adapter.

We rested up and Ubered to the Grand 'Ole Opry - I bought tickets and requested "best seats available" What did we get? Literally the Worst Seats in the House!!! The Last Row - way up high, high, high - it was center stage though. That aside it was a GREAT show. I had never been before and next time I go to Nashville I will be sure and go back. Tonight we had an appearance from Brad Paisley - it was really neat. It's a very conformable place - lots back and forth with the audience. Brad Paisley was there to welcome Chris Young into the Grand 'Ole Opry membership and it was pretty cool to watch.

Wednesday
Nashville RV Park

We are up and have had our coffee  - we're just hanging out until we head downtown

Those are the words that were written in my journal. That didn't happen. Instead we thought since we were camping we should build a fire and roast hotdogs. It was only noon but we cracked open the beers and enjoyed the sunshine on our little patio. We set up our BBQ  and had some really, really good hotdogs - best we had ever tasted! By now it's 4:00 - we are a little buzzed - Shelly goes to lay down and I played on the internet. I'm sad to admit that was our day and night in Nashville. 









Shelly outside the Big Rig


All set up and ready to Q the Dogs.


Enjoying a beautiful day at the park..

 The view

Shelly  with the park in the background


No comments:

Post a Comment