Sunday, August 16, 2015

A mish mash of "stuff"

I was thinking yesterday that I have been here for almost two weeks and I have not had

  • any chips
  • cracker
  • diet coke (i have had maybe 6 cokes)
  • white bread
  • coffee
  • sweetner
basically nothing processed - and guess what? I don't feel a damn bit different and I bet I gained weight. So much for the processed theory! Funny thing I don't really miss any of that stuff. Don't get me wrong I'll eat it as soon as I get home but all I can honestly say I miss is Ice. They don't use much of it. I'm even getting used to having my drinks without it. Last night I was making a glass of water and Nez open the freezer and I said "You don't have to get any ice" she looked at me and said "yes, I get ice for you" I said "Oh hell, I'm an Azerbaijaini now - I'll drink it without ice" She laughed and laughed.

This morning Nez cut open a fresh melon. It's one I have never seen before. She sliced it and it was white inside. I tasted it and it is very, very sweet. I said "Nez what kind of melon is this?" She said "melon" I said "Yes - what kind of melon?" she said "Hmmm.....in azerbaijan we call all melons just melons" So I have no idea what I'm eating!

On our way home from the country I saw all of these little kitchens on the roadside. I said "What's going on here?" Yusif said "They are selling homemade bread." I said "can we stop and get some?"

 There were probably 20 or so of these little bread stands
on the side of the road.


Here are pictures of 3 of them


The last one I got a picture of....


And here is the bread we bought - 
2 loafs - $1.00
It was hot from the oven and delish!!!


This is a picture of a store that was along 
the side of the road. I wanted a picture of
that broom - I was amazed that people
use those kind of brooms!

3 comments: