Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A Night Out

I'm just now starting to think "what have I done? why am I here?" Did I do this to avoid the St. Louis winter? Did I really think I would write a book? Monday and Tuesday were cloudy, rainy days and I spent a lot of time thinking about this "adventure"I'm on. I decided that I had no earthy idea what I was looking for and I didn't think this thing through. I should have listened to Beav when she said "Did it ever dawn on you to rent the place for two weeks and see if you like it? Then if you do - go back and stay six weeks?" Now that was a good idea, but ....If I can't go all in then I'm not interested. So here I am in my little cottage in the woods of Georgia.

Yesterday I took Miss Scarlet to St. Simon's Island and let her run on the beach. The we drove around and looked at all of the cottages and shops. Next it was off to Darien and the Purple Pickle for lunch. Last stop - home. I wanted to make sure I had enough time for a little nap before going out with the girls. Paula (Lin's friend) invited Lin and I to her house for soup and salad and then we went to Hunters for a few games of Left, Right, Center. I promise that soon, very soon I will post pictures. Paula's house was b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l. LRC was a lot of fun because I won one of the games! $33! And all of the people could not have been nicer or friendlier. I think they were so excited to see someone new. Everyone knows everyone else. Anyway I might be closer to scratching something else off of my bucket list. If you know me - you know my dream has always been to go sailing. Last night I met a man U-Be (Uncle Billy) and he has a sail boat and said he would take me out sailing. Then I was talking to Gerald (think Barracks Guy) and he said that for as long as Billy has had that sail boat "he ain't never seen it out". So we'll see what happens but I know I am going to get a ride on a sail boat sometime during this trip. The weather is pretty crappy for boating right now but hopefully that will change next week. Paula also won a game of LRC - so two of us went home with a win. We all had pretty much to drink but home is less that 5 mins away. Of course they are the darkest roads I have ever driven in my life. Those creepy moss trees are everywhere - they are like a scary story to me. After arriving home I look out at the river and see a bright orange quarter moon hanging low in the sky and reflecting on the water. It was amazing. I ran inside got Scarlet and walked down to the dock. By the time I got out there the moon had moved behind clouds but the river was still magnificent. So I stayed out there for awhile just enjoying it. One really nice thing about being here is that you feel so safe. Lin keeps the keys in the golf cart so that whenever i want to use it it's available. Half the time I never lock my car or the house.

This evening Jimmy and I are going to the Boat Shed (Shid) for a burger. They have some excellent burgers. Then I'll burrow in for the night and watch all of my favorite shows! Tomorrow night Lin is having a Jump Up - we will be ordering from Speeds and eating at her house. Hopefully one of these days the sun will shine and I'll be able to hang out down at the river. I'm wondering - should I start fishing?

4 comments:

  1. Lots of eating, drinking and talking going on down there. Sounds like Joyce's cabin!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whomever is hosting a dinner is having a jump up

    ReplyDelete
  3. ML - love your latest blog entry. It is a book in the making!

    ReplyDelete