Saturday, January 30, 2010

Update From South of the State Line

Here is it Saturday night already - I'm in my jammies waiting for the 8:00 movie surprisingly like it would be if I were home. I just returned from "Speed's Kitchen" for dinner. Jimmy, my new buddy accompanied me. Here's what I know for sure:

Speed's Kitchen
About 40 years ago two Mom's decided they had
been fixing lunches for kids and husbands so long
that they should open a restaurant. So they did what
all resourceful women did back in the 70's. They bought a couple
of double wides, hooked them together, opened
a restaurant and called it Speed's Kitchen.
They serve Steaks and Seafood and are open from
5 - 9PM. If you want liquor bring your own because
they never bothered with a liquor license. Over
the years the place has changed hands, but furniture
and decorations have remained in tact.

I haven't properly described Jimmy yet, but I will as time goes on. Suffice to say he is Lin (my landladys) husband, he's71 with a touch of dementia and loves to go out. When we are out he talks to everyone, whether he knows them or not. Tonight we aren't seated for 5 mins. when Jimmy starts talking to the lady at the next table. Did I mention that wherever we go Jimmy likes to talk to people? So far everyone we have met he knows someone they know or they know his Mamas Daddy or Great Grand Pappy. At one restaurant he told the table "see that pretty woman across from me? She came all the way from Missourah just to see me!" Let's just say going out with Jimmy is an experience - he's a good man.

Lyn has an indoor pool 10 feet from my door, I think is would be called a small lap pool. Anyway she said I am welcome to use it so I have been swimming everyday. I also have a cable channel that has yoga - can it get much better? Oh I forgot - it can get better - walk around the house and you are sittin' by the dock of the bay (or river as the case may be). Once you drive through everyone's yard and get here it is quite beautiful.

Today I went to the Darien Outlet Mall and hit the honey hole. Ends up I get all the way down here and discover I didn't bring a housecoat. So I thought I pick one up. The cheapest I could find was 20 bucks which I just couldn't do. I mean 20 dollars for something I don't need? So I went to the resell-it shop. For $10.00 I got a housecoat, a darling green shirt (that I wore to dinner tonight) a darrrrling nightgown, a pair of Capri's, a black sweatshirt that zips up the front with "Georgia" on it and a brand new omelet pan!! I couldn't believe it. I told the lady that these were very good prices and she said "well the owner told me to price everything to go so that's what I'm doing". I love it - Joyce and Peggy I just with the two of you were here to enjoy it with me.

I went out to dinner last night with Lin and Jimmy over to Johnny and Nelda's house. Their house is on the river and it nice, nice, nice. We had a good down home dinner of smoked pork, lacy cornbread, sweet potato souffle and peas that I thought were black-eyed but I was told they are not black eyed peas - you put "hot chow chow" on them and they are suppose to be really good. I took the peas but passed on the chow chow. So my first homemade Southern dinner was quite tasty. All of the people I'm meeting are friendly and nice and fun to talk to. I'm sure they are wondering why I am here all by myself and why don't I have any friends. But I can't get all caught up in what others think.

I am finding out that traveling around USA is almost like going to a foreign country. Each part of the country has it's own intricacies and customs. It is pretty cool to get to spend this much time somewhere all together different and know that you still have your home to go back to. The menu at Speed's Kitchen ends with:
SHELLMAN BLUFF
Not a place for
Fast lane folks
Ain't got no red lights
No 4-lanes
We move slow here
Try it - Good for your health

4 comments:

  1. Ya'll take care now, hear? Jimmy sounds like someone Kathy would love to hang around with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Lou, I think your neck is turning red! I'm glad to hear that you're living large and didn't we all know that you'd meet colorful characters. i just hope you are taking photos to go along with the stories. Keep em coming.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love reading your posts and appreciate the food descriptions. Hope you're collecting recipes. Would be great inclusions in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fantastic...there will be stories galore for years to come! You saught out a different experience...and boy did you get it. Thanks for letting us live vicariously through you. Don't forget to get recipes!

    ReplyDelete